Do you Like?

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Upon Further Review..."Codes and Keys" by DCFC

 

Death Cab For Cutie's new album, "Codes and Keys" was a highly anticipated album following "Narrow Stairs".  I heard that the album was going to sound more like The Postal Service which excited me.

After listening to the new album multiple times I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed.  It definitely has the melodic tones that Ben Gibbard is known for, but the instrumentation was par at best.  Even Ben's lyrics were a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong there was plenty of good music and lyrics in this album but not quite as good as what they have previously recorded.  It is hard to out due yourself on every album though.

Part of me wonders if Ben's new marriage to Zooey Deschanel has had a significant impact on his songwriting.  His lyrics do give off more of a positive vibe in this album compared to past ones.  Another part of me thinks it could be the bands collaboration with Atlantic records that has turned this album into a watered down DCFC.  Whatever the case may be the album fell short of DCFC's full potential.

Their song "Doors Unlocked And Open" had a VERY repetitive drum beat that I was actually getting sick of by the end of the song.  One big part of why I love this band is because of Jason Mcgerr's unique drumming style so to hear such repetitive rhythms really threw me off.

Another song that left me hanging was "Portable Television".  I really like the lyrics in this song until it gets to the hook where Ben just sings out a few catchy Oh's.  Like the rest of the album this song left me hanging wanting more.

Anyway overall I'd have to give this album a 3 out of 5.  I really love this band and have been very impressed with everything they have written up until this album.  Although I won't be playing "Codes and Keys" as often as "Plans" or "Narrow Stairs", it is still worth listening to and recommending others to give a listen.  So here is my recommendation.   Go take a listen to the album and enjoy it for what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment